Giving Thanks in All Circumstances!

Labels:

I don’t know about you, but I love Thanksgiving! Is it the food? Yes! Is it the extra day off? Yes! Is it the leftovers? Yes! Is it family? Yes! (Not in any order of importance or priority.) For me it’s all these things and even more. Time and space will not allow me to let you know why this is simply one of my favorite days of the year. I want to unpack the meaning of Thanksgiving a little bit for us this week so that we will be better equipped to have an unforgettable Thanksgiving.

For many people Thanksgiving is just a long weekend filled with people, food and football…nothing really more and nothing really less. For the genuine believer this weekend is a reminder of what we need to give thanks for throughout the year. Giving thanks is not just an expression we should return when the good times roll and our team is on top, no giving thanks is something we do that is not really dependent on the circumstances of our life at all. Let me explain…

Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (1 Thessalonians 5:18)

As hard as it is, circumstances must not govern our giving of thanks. I don’t think there is anyone out there reading this that has had this last year pass perfectly. I realize that all of us have had some bad things happen; in fact, I would venture to say that for some, things have gone from bad to worse. In circumstances like these how can we give thanks for anything? The good things that have happened seem so distant and minor compared to the storm you might be experiencing right now. The problem is that our focus is wrong. We must look at our circumstances in light of the big picture. The big picture I like to look at is eternity. Look at what you have gone through in light of what God has stored up for you in heaven. Paul said it well,


No eye has seen,
No ear has heard,
No mind has conceived
what God has prepared for those who love him.
(1 Corinthians 2:9)

I believe that what our heart is focused on is what determines whether or not we are going to be giving thanks this year or not. I have to ask, “Is my heart fixed on my bad circumstances or is it fixed on the God who rules my circumstances?” As we approach November 22, 2007 I pray that we will all give thanks for everything!

Grace & Peace,

Scott

Comments (0)

Post a Comment