Last Words

Labels: ,

The last conversation we have with someone is very important. I remember the last “talk” I had with Dad and even the last words he said to me and I said to him…”I love you.” These are important to me; something I will never forget. As I was thinking about this, my mind wandered (not surprised?) to the last words of Jesus to His closest followers—His disciples.

All authority has been given to me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age. (Matthew 28:18-29 NASB)

These words not just for His disciples “back then”; they are also words for His disciples “right now.” Historically we call them the great commission. It’s what was in Jesus’ heart for His Church to do while He is away. Call them final instructions…the master plan…the play book…or whatever. We cannot and must not get away from them. The great commission is what Jesus expects us to do; these words are not an option, they are obligation!

Impacting lives for eternity was such an important responsibility for the Church that just before Jesus ascended to heaven He gathered His disciples together one more time and said,

You shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth. (Acts 1:8 NASB)

These words from Jesus provide the backdrop for God’s vision for Calvary. I will unfold this vision next week.

Grace & Peace,

Scott

Comments (0)

Post a Comment