Comebacks!

Labels:

Comebacks are hard to make. Just look at the world of sports and you’ll see how difficult it is…but it’s not impossible. I’ve seen all of our kids make comebacks in the sports they’ve played. What about the Boiling Springs High School baseball team last spring? They had so many “comeback” wins the parents didn’t have any hair left. It makes for an exciting, albeit nail-biting evening! Also, look at what the Chicago White Sox did this week, something no other major league baseball team has done…won three must-win games, three days in a row, against three different teams. I could go on and on, but sports are not the point, something else is.

How about relationships? One of the greatest illustrations of a “comeback” relationship is that of the prodigal son (Luke 15:11-32). When read in light of a comeback it thrills my soul; I find myself mourning that this son made so many bad choices and then cheering when he decides he has had enough and wants to return home. As they say in Hawaii, “It gives me chicken skin just thinking about it!” (i.e., goose bumps)

One lesson here is that we shouldn’t give up on any relationship. As Yogi Berra said, “It ain’t over till it’s over.” God does have a plan, and I believe if we’re patient enough we will experience a comeback in our fractured relationships beyond imagination. You know, sometimes all people are looking for is somebody who won’t give up on them. This is the way our Heavenly Father treats us. He truly is patient with me because He loves me.

We love these comebacks. There is just something about them that stirs our emotions and leaves us thinking anything is possible! So, what relationship do you have in your life that needs a comeback? Or, maybe you need to make a comeback yourself. Study Luke 15 and discover what role you play, and then follow the Lord’s teaching.

I Love You,
Scott

Comments (0)

Post a Comment