"Do It Again, Daddy!"

Labels:

For some “getting back to a routine” has been a welcomed thing, for others...well, let me just say it a “painful” thing. We all have some sort of routine and I write this because the last couple of weeks got me to thinking. This thinking comes from three sources: being melancholy about kids growing up, our Sunday school lesson from Psalm 19, a radio program I heard, and something I read. With that much repetition I had to pay attention to what God was trying to teach me and then pass it on to you. Here goes…

Remember when our kids were young and they would want you to do something over and over again. I remember times such as jumping from the third stair into my arms, or Barb reading the same story over and over, or throwing them up in the air and catching them and then them throwing up on me. The question begging to be asked is, “Why did they want to do this over and over again?” The answer lies in the pleasure they received. It was just fun! Their appetite for joy was engaged. I truly miss the words, “Do it again Daddy!”

David wrote in Psalm 19,

Day after day they pour forth speech;
Night after night they display knowledge. (Psalm 19:2)

David wrote this in reference to the sun and moon. Every day the sun comes up and every night the moon shines, and this has been going on since the first day of creation. This is a creative God doing something beautiful over and over again. The beauty of creation always engages our joy. We see the same things day after day, month after month, season after season, year after year, decade after decade, and life-time after life-time. And you know what? It never gets old. God has never tired of doing the same thing throughout history. G. K. Chesterton wrote:

“It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them. It may be that he has the eternal appetite of infancy…The repetition in Nature may not be a mere recurrence; it may be a theatrical encore.”

I sometimes bemoan routine, but the lesson of repetition in God’s beautiful creation has me saying, “Do it again Daddy!”

Grace & Peace,
Scott

Comments (2)

Scott, you always make me think. I'm glad you're my preacher.

daddy means "Abba" very inspiring!

Post a Comment