Are We An Oasis or a Dry Well?

Labels: , ,

Are we a refreshing oasis in the middle of a dry and hot desert? Or, are we a disappointing soda machine on the side of a long stretch of road with an “Out of Order” sign? This is something I just can’t shake this week. It is something I spoke about Sunday morning from Philemon. It was sort of a passing thought, but it was one truth that I’ve been thinking about constantly. Let me explain…
If you don’t remember that’s ok (maybe you weren’t even here), I said that Paul was grateful for Philemon because he was refreshing to the saints in Colossae.
“For I have derived much joy and comfort from your love, my brother, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you.” (Philemon 7)
Do I leave people refreshed or drained? We have to make a choice here. We can’t make excuses like, “I’m just not an outgoing person” or “I’m shy.” That really doesn’t resonate with God.
You see, I want to be that guy that people love to talk to because I leave their hearts refreshed. I want to direct the conversation in a way that would magnify God and lift the spirits of the person to whom I’m talking. I want to leave people wanting more, not less. I don’t want people to feel critiqued and miserable because they stopped me and talked with me.
How about you? Do you want to be that refreshing bottle of water on a hot day? Do you want people to avoid you because they know they are going to come away from you discouraged, confused and criticized?
We can become a source of refreshment if we remember what flowed out of Philemon – love and joy. People need a break. We all have been in a battle this week and need someone to refresh us with love and joy. We need to feel that someone genuinely, biblically, foundationally loves us. And we need to talk to someone who sees life from God’s perspective, not the media’s. We need to hear some good news of great joy!
My prayer is that people look for you to be refreshed.
Grace & Peace,
Scott

Comments (0)

Post a Comment