The Generous Spirit of a Gracious People

Labels:

gen·er·os·i·ty
ˌjenəˈräsitē/
noun
noun: generosity
1. the quality of being kind and generous
2. Calvary Baptist Church of Boiling Springs, SC!

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I think of when I think of the folks at Calvary. No, we aren’t a bunch of rich people from the world’s point of view, but we are rich when it comes to God’s grace. And I just happen to believe that those who’ve genuinely encountered God’s lavish grace can’t help but to respond in kind. You see, the believers at Calvary have a long history of generosity. They understand the principle Jesus was teaching in the parable of the wise and faithful manager: “Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required…” (Luke 12:48)
I believe it is important that when the followers of Christ see a need and have been given the resources to meet that need that they respond by giving generously. We really don’t own anything; everything is God’s; He only gives us the responsibility to manage it. So instead of saying, “It’s mine”, we learn to say, “It’s mine to give!” Do you see the difference? I hope so.
The purpose of generosity is two-fold (at least). There is both a practical purpose and a theological purpose. The practical purpose of generosity is to meet the need. Needs abound; we don’t need to look very far to see someone very close to us in need. If someone says, “I just don’t see anyone in need.” I really have a dumb look on my face, like, are you kidding me? The theological purpose of generosity is always to point others to a generous God. It is through God’s generosity that our greatest need was met: salvation. When God lavished on us the gift of His Son, Jesus, He made possible the eternal reversal of our situation.
One of my prayers is that more than just a few will be generous. I pray that all of those who’ve been transformed by God’s generosity will not hesitate to be generous to those around us.
Grace & Peace,

Scott

Comments (0)

Post a Comment