What I Am Holding On To Will Be Tested

Labels:

From the book of James we read that our faith will be tested; he writes, “…the testing of your faith…” so that we will know it will happen. The question is not “if” but “when.” This is what we could call the inevitability of testing. Now, no question about it, Job experienced this gut-wrenching, white-knuckle test of faith. A life-altering statement he made captures this:

“But he knows the way that I take; when he has tried me, I shall come out as gold.” (Job 23:10)

God wants to know what our faith is holding on to…His promises or our stuff. When we are holding on to what we can see and touch then God doesn’t much figure into the equation. At times I have a tendency to live my life by faith in my “stuff.” Having faith in my “stuff” can mean I am trusting in what I have in the bank, my good health, smooth relationships, success, or what plans I can put together.

A couple of things happen when our faith is parked here—first, we leave no room for God to work. It really isn’t faith at all (at least not the “I can only trust God” kind). If the ducks are all in a row then God is no longer needed and too often He is kicked to the back room where we can get to Him if the times really get tough.

Second, when my “stuff” falls apart then my life falls apart. When this happens I no longer have a leg to stand on and I am left empty, confused, and frustrated. This is a horrible feeling in life and feels like we are in the ocean drowning with no help in sight. I believe that God will allow us to “go it alone” if that is our choice, but remember, it is not His desire.

When our faith is in God’s promises then any fire we face will be difficult but endurable. Why? Because nothing, and I mean really nothing, can burn God out of the picture of our life. He can withstand the pressure and heat of any fire that comes our way. You see, God cannot be taken away and His promises never fail.

I will admit that this is not an easy way. If it were easy many would jump on the band wagon and there would be no true faith…no trust. It would amount to rubbing the proverbial genie bottle to get us out of trouble. Real faith in God’s promises is what God is after.

Grace & Peace,
Scott

Comments (0)

Post a Comment