A Charge to Keep

Labels:

For many decades the church has gotten off the track regarding its deacons. The pendulum has swung from one extreme to the other in identifying the role and responsibilities of this group. On one extreme you have deacons who are only the “Pastor’s Pals”; they are there only to support whatever agenda he has…no questions asked. The other extreme envisions deacons as a group who “run” the church; they are the ones who call the shots and even the pastor better beware because his job is on the line if he disobeys the deacons.

I believe that both the above views are wrong. The one view dissolves the biblical vision of a deacon, while the other blurs any distinctive function of a deacon. From scripture I understand that a deacon’s responsibilities and priorities flow from that of the pastor’s. The Bible is very clear on a shepherd’s responsibilities and priorities:

“…We will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.” (Acts 6:4)

A pastor’s clear focus must be on two priorities…prayer and the ministry of the Word. A single-minded tenacity on praying and ministering the Word is the most fulfilling work that I can do. This is the sacred charge that I have been given, and it is not something I take lightly. These two priorities have always been under attack. Getting focused on other good things is what hinders me from doing what God has called me to do. Any neglect of these priorities sabotages God’s work. Replacing these priorities with budgets, buildings and bean counting will highjack what God is trying to accomplish through me at Calvary.

Now please understand, I don’t believe I am “God’s gift to Calvary.” I can easily be replaced (not looking to be replaced though). I am just saying that from scripture I clearly see what I need to do. If a pastor’s priorities are prayer and the Word, then the deacon’s priorities involve ministering in ways that enable me to do this.

This brings me to what I want to say about our deacons at Calvary: They are Spirit-filled men who enable me to do what God has called me to do! I love and respect each of them and count it a privilege to serve alongside of them. They are enabling me to pray and spend time in the Word. They allow me the thrill of fulfilling my sacred charge. They understand that they too have a sacred charge from God. The deacons at Calvary are men who lift the burdens off me that don’t need to be there.

Much more could be written but I will save that for later. I just want to say, “Thank you deacons.”

Grace & Peace,
Scott

Comments (0)

Post a Comment