Heaven Is My Motivation

Labels: ,

For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.” (Philippians 1:21)

Heaven is not just a destination, it is a motivation!

Yes, certainly heaven is where I am heading; it’s my true home; it’s where my heart is; it’s a place for which I am already beginning to pack. The destination of my King is my destination as well, so if Jesus is in heaven, then that is where I am headed!

But “…to die is gain” is only one side of what Paul was teaching in this verse. I also want to think about the other side of his teaching, “For me to live is Christ…” Heaven is more than the where of my future, it is the motivation for living today. I live today in light of eternity. What God has in store for me is beyond my imagination, but it is what motivates me to do what I do today.

Let’s be honest, some days just aren’t worth rolling over in bed and putting our feet on the floor. We’ve all faced “mountains” and “giants” that seem insurmountable and undefeatable. They loom over us like a modern-day doomsday. There are times when we look at life and would just as soon run to the mountains and hide. But for genuine Christ-followers this is not an option God holds open for us. He provides the courage and strength and perseverance through the Spirit to get us up and get us going. This is what it means “for me to live is Christ.”

I think we need the perspective of eternity in our souls to keep us motivated each day. We can determine to live today for Christ because we know what He will do for us in the future. Today we live for Christ. This makes all the difference in everything we do; it changes every relationship we have; it makes every encounter eternal; it molds every decision we make.

Living without this motivation makes us worthless for today. Living with this motivation makes everyday an opportunity.

Grace & Peace,

Scott

Comments (0)

Post a Comment