Words

Labels:

What we say is powerful, but just as equally powerful is how we say it. Paul, who wrote, “speak the truth in love” (Ephesians 4:15) also wrote, “let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt” (Colossians 4:6). This has strong implications for our everyday conversations two of which I want to share with you today.

First, our words must be motivated by love. I take this to mean that whenever we speak, we speak loving truth. We don’t always need to speak (that’s love), but we always need to be honest (that’s truth). When you ladies are trying on new spring outfits and your friend comes out and asks, “Don’t you just love this on me?” Suddenly you find yourself on the horns of a dilemma because honestly it is not a flattering outfit but this is your best friend. What do you do? A key phrase I’ve learned to deal with a situation like this is “keep my mouth shut and run for the hills!” We have to ask ourselves, “What will it really accomplish if I tell this person in this context what I really think?” God does not call us to share everything on our minds, but He does call us to honest love when we do share.

Second, our words should be coated with grace. I have found that my tone often dictates the reaction. When I talk on a subject about which I am very passionate I have noticed that my tone is sometimes misunderstood, and people think I am angry. Sound familiar? Because what is said is very important to God and us, I think it is absolutely necessary not only to watch what we say, but also to watch how we say it. People can’t help but judge conversations so I think it is good for us to coat every conversation with grace.

Hey, everyone, there is enough misunderstanding out in the world today already, let’s not add to it. Our words are powerful and God intends that we use them for His glory and the grace of others. Are you with me in repenting of using words the wrong way and asking God for wisdom in using conversations that honor Him and genuinely help others? I hope so.

Grace & Peace,
Scott

Comments (0)

Post a Comment