Honoring God Through Modeling His Fatherhood

Labels: ,

There was a time when I dreaded special Sundays. These days had a tendency to get me off track in a series of messages, I had trouble coming up with new material (After all how much can you say about the shepherds during advent worship?), the worship had to be different, the welcome had to be changed, and I needed to take time to make sure I recognized every special person in the service. (These were “Don’t blow it Scott” moment for me.) However, in the last three years God has changed me tremendously. I have come to slow down and take time because I’m not going anywhere and I have all the time to do God’s will in preaching. I have realized that God’s truth is unimaginably inexhaustible on any subject, and besides it is not about what I am going to say, but what God wants to say through His Word. I understand that worship is a life-style, not just music we sing on Sunday mornings. I write all of this to say that I am both scared and excited about Father’s Day this Sunday!

I am scared because I know my own failures as a father. I am still learning how to be a good father. For most of us, it is not information we lack, but a lack of doing that is our problem. I have enjoyed the fellowship of many fathers over the years and one thing remains constant: There are no perfect fathers expect One!

I am excited because this is another opportunity for me as a pastor to open God’s Word and share God’s truth about how to pass truth on to our kids. The passage I have chosen for this Sunday is Proverbs 1:8,

Hear, my son, your Father’s instruction…

We honor God as fathers when we imitate His Fatherhood in passing truth on to our children. I believe this dictates three activities:

1. We need to be talking.

2. We need to be modeling.

3. We need to be writing.

This Sunday I will broaden our vision on these three activities.

Happy Father’s Day Guys, Scott

Comments (0)

Post a Comment