Thieves Do Break In!

Labels: ,

Last night somebody made a valiant effort to break into the church. They must have been here for a while because three windows were broken. The one over Matthew's desk (see the picture) took the greatest hit, and I think this is where they actually tried to get into the building. We found some finger prints but that is about all the evidence. The police arrived within minutes after Amanda (Calvary's Ministry Assistant [aka "Church Secretary"]) called. They were fantastic and we even got a motorcycle cop (made my day). No, I didn't stage this for all the drama, but there is a point here...

I just finished reading Randy Alcorn's book, "The Treasure Principle," and this break-in happens. After I had time to process this I thought about what Jesus said,

"Don't lay up for yourselves treasures where thieves break in and steal!"

Pretty awesome right! This event has been a visual reinforcement about my treasures and my heart. The treasures of Calvary are many, and because we are relocating we've begun to talk about taking an inventory of what we have. The purpose of this is to determine what we are going to take with us and what we are going to leave behind. (Yeah, you know where I'm going with this.) What we really want to take with us is not things, its people. What we truly value at this church is not the furniture and pictures, but the souls who come through the doors. The only thing that is truly worth anything where the thieves tried to break in and steal are the youth who meet in that area. Those are the treasures of Calvary Church and so that is where our heart is.

Matthew, I'm sorry for the mess, but we will do our best to get it cleaned up. I am thankful nobody was here to get hurt. Yes, we feel violated, but we are also thankful to our sovereign God for the modern-day lesson about the treasure principle!

Hitting the Alarm & Locking the Doors, Scott

Comments (0)

Post a Comment