Effective Prayer

Labels:

I am writing this on Monday afternoon from my office. Tomorrow morning I will get on a plane and head to Florida to visit with Mom and Dad for a few days. By the time you read this (unless of course you are reading this blog) I will be on a different plane headed back to Spartanburg. What can I say to you but "Thank you." You are the most wonderful people to pastor and I love you so much. You have done a wonderful thing by allowing me some time with my parents. No, I will not be suffering unless Mom has some "outside" projects for me to do while I am there. Otherwise I will be sitting by the pool reading or running in the old neighborhood I used to terrorize. I am quite sure that many of those neighbors in Brandon, Florida never imagined that the "Linnerud Kids" would end up loving God with their whole hearts, but we did. This brings back a memory I want to share with you this week.

My brother, Jack, and I ended up at the same sixth grade campus in Riverview, Florida. We both spent our respective year there, and by the good hand of God's providence we had the same teacher only a year apart from each other. Now I couldn't tell you the name of all the teachers I had over the years, but I could never forget this one (and that was 37 years ago!). Her name was Mrs. Deangelo. Neither of us boys would know of the spiritual impact this woman would have on our lives until we were in Bible College many years later. Let me explain...

While Jack and I were home for Christmas break in 1981 we went to the mall one afternoon. As were were walking through one of the stores we both recognized this sixth grade teacher and she recognized us. If I remember correctly she asked us what we were up to and we said that we were in Bible College. That may not shock you now, but you didn't know us in 1973, and she did. Just let me say that we were not believers then and we were not her best-behaved students. What she did tell us that day is that she was a Christian and prayed for her students almost every day!

God answered her prayers years later by moving in the hearts of two young men. In time both Jack and I trusted Christ and followed His sovereign plan for our lives.

The effective prayer of a righteous person has great power! (James 5:16)

For whom are you praying? Have you given up? Please don't quit, because you never know when or how God will answer.

Grace & Peace,
Scott

Comments (0)

Post a Comment