We Are in This Thing Together

Labels: ,

Recently while visiting a shut-in she said to me, "I never want to be alone." My response to this sweet follower of Jesus was, "God never intended for us to go through life alone." This is part of what the church must be--a family. God has called us to community. "Community" means "a unified body of individuals" (Merriam-Webster). In other words, we are in this thing together. For me this involves at least the following marks (taken from Philippians 2);

Unity. We are united in Christ therefore we are one in purpose.

Complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind (v. 2).

This doesn't mean for us to be mindless robots, but I believe it means for us to be unified in the goal of honoring God through His church. God has put us together not to tear each other apart but to build one another up.

Humility. No single person is more important than the whole. Mavericks like to go about their business without any notion of having to think about how their actions will affect others. Humility kills the spirit of mavericks because we see the value of others through the eyes of God.

Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves (v. 3).

Deference. Deferring to others is not a sign of weakness. When we defer to somebody else's plans or desires it communicates a loving acceptance that should be commonplace in the church. It should never be "My way or the highway"; it must always be "God's way"!

Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others (v. 4).

Looking out for number one is a terrible philosophy on two fronts: First, it is selfish. And second, what makes me think I'm number one?

Following Christ's Pattern. I'm so thankful God didn't leave us without instructions on how to live (i.e., the Bible), but I'm equally thankful He sent Jesus as an example of how to live in this world.

Have this mind among yourselves, which was also in Christ Jesus (v. 5).

We must actually follow Jesus, not just talk about it!

Grace & Peace,
Scott

Comments (0)

Post a Comment