You Honored Her Well

Labels: ,

What you did for Barb on Sunday night was "fantastically wonderful"! And I want to say, "Thank you." Your love was on vibrant display as you surprised her to honor her just for being Barb. She is truly a wonderful woman...I may be biased, but I know I'm right. In the churches we've served she is one of the factors that I'm sure got me the job. And yes, I agree that I married way beyond my pay grade! I don't think you can spend even five minutes with her without coming away with the feeling that you've met somebody pretty special. By the way, I believe a church like Calvary deserves a pastor's wife like Barb!

Does this surprise me about Calvary? Not in the least! This is a church filled with people who not only tell you they love you but also prove that love through action. It reminds me of what God dreamed His Church would be like. He didn't create a church that would be all talk and no action. One of the many important aspects of His Church is a loving environment where people know they are loved by what people do not just what they say.

Jesus vehemently attacked the religious hypocrisy of His day. On one occasion He said, "They preach, but do not practice" (Matthew 23:3). Even Paul sense this danger of saying but not doing when he addressed the believers in Corinth. He compared his Christian walk with that of a runner, and in the analogy he said that runners discipline themselves to run by the rules so that when they cross the finish line they win legitimately (1 Corinthians 9:24-27a). He applied this analogy to his own life-ministry and wrote in the end,

...Let after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified (v. 27b).

A danger always exists in our lives of becoming a hypocrite (saying one thing and doing another). We must not let that sin slip into our lives. If we do then we are no better off than the accepted religion of Jesus' day that thought they knew God but were far from Him.

Grace & Peace,
Scott

Comments (0)

Post a Comment