Choose the Best, Moms

Labels: ,

I think you moms need more than one day set aside to celebrate all you do. I know as a little boy I put so much stress on my mom that she deserved a "Mother's Day" once a week. I think I know why some moms color their hair - to hide the gray hairs brought on my little boys. But I digress...

Moms, I want to encourage you to take on Mary's characteristic of hanging on every word of Jesus. The sisters, Martha and Mary, are a study in contrasts. Martha was a woman who took care of things, probably necessary things, and not just one thing, but many things. She got stuff done, but she probably took on too much because Jesus said to her,

Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things (Luke 10:42a).

No doubt some of the things she was obsessed over were things for other people to take care of. But I think it was in Martha's nature to make sure everything got done, and if something was left undone then she felt it her mission to get that done as well. The problem with this is that it robbed her of the time she could have been spending doing something better - something her sister, Mary, was doing. Jesus said of Mary,

Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her (Luke 10:42b).

And just what was the "good portion" that Mary had chosen? She had chosen to sit at Jesus' feet and listen to His teaching (cf. v. 39). It seems that we usually find Mary at Jesus' feet handing on His every word!

Now let's not be too hard on Martha. At times all of us find ourselves doing so many "good" things that we neglect the "best" thing! I just want to encourage you moms to make good choices. Spending time at Jesus' feet soaking in His teaching is a higher priority than making sure the hamper is empty and the ironing basket is kept to a minimum. It is better to take time everyday to be with jesus than Betty Crocker. When you spend time with Jesus then you are better equipped to mold the lives of children.

Happy Mother's Day!
Scott

Comments (0)

Post a Comment