Our Lives Will Influence People

Labels:

When you go out to eat with certain people you just know that the meal is going to take some time. For instance, if you go somewhere with Preacher Crocker you have to be prepared to stop about every ten feet and wait for him as he talks with somebody he knows. Well, on Monday I found myself along with Greg and Keith taking PC out for a belated birthday lunch to the Clock (awesome bacon cheeseburgers!). And in keeping with tradition, as soon as we walked into the restaurant I noticed people looking at PC and whispering; I knew then that we were in for a long lunch. After we sat down a couple came over and began talking with us - a blast from PC's past. This is not an unusual occurrence, its standard fare, and I both enjoyed it and learned from it.

Through the years of pastoring, Preacher Crocker has taken the time to get involved in people's lives. He didn't simply pass them by thinking he was too important to get involved with their everyday messes. He is one who has taught me firm, loving compassion. I think we've all been around long enough to know that you don't get his reputation by being filled with your own sense of self-importance.

I have read many good books (and some not so good) on how to be a pastor, but nothing will ever take the place of spending time with men who have done it right. Theory on the black and white is one thing, but what I've found more helpful is reading the flesh and blood books of my brothers who care enough to teach me. And believe me, I still have a long way to go because I'm still learning! I have been blessed to have two such men in my life as a pastor: Jerry Wiley and James Crocker.

Our lives will influence people - good, bad or ugly (not people, our influence). What we say and do follows us well into our 80's. Remember this lesson as you think about the people with whom you work, play and worship. The very person you ignore may become the same person who ends up sitting next to you in Sunday school one morning; what will they think then? The one you stop and spend time listening to in the nursing home may just be the mother of somebody looking for a good church. Think about it.

Grace & Peace,
Scott

Comments (0)

Post a Comment