Unsettled Settled

Labels:

I am partially settle in my new office. I say “partially” because not all of the boxes are unloaded, not all of the books are shelved, and none of the pictures are on the wall. I have an “unsettled settled” feeling. I am what we call “betwixt and between.” I am in my new office but I am not all the way in yet. In theology we call this “already, not yet” (I am already in my office – it is a reality, it is happening – but I am not yet all the way in).

This is also how I feel as a believer. According to the gospel that saved me I am already in Christ, but I am not yet realizing the fullness of being in Christ. I know this because I am still on this alien world called “Earth” struggling with sin. This world is not my home; I am a temporary resident. The older I get and the more I study Scripture the more I understand this truth and long for the day when God calls me home. (But I am not raising my hand to see if I can get bumped to the next flight.)

I see remnants of sin all around me that prove to me that I am not home. I see boxes in my life that remind me that this place is not meant for me. The daily struggle with sin and my physical body not able to do what it did when I was 20 are just a couple of indicators that God has a place prepared for me that is much better.

So what do we do today? How do we live everyday knowing that one day we will vacate this place and join our heavenly Father? We follow the advice of Paul,

For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account (Philippians 1:21-24).

As I look around my office I am bothered that not everything has been put away - not everything is as it should be. Does it bother me when I look around the world and see that not everything is as it should be? Or have I lulled myself into a sleepy satisfaction that causes me to shrug my shoulders and say, "It's not that bad." We must all realize that the gospel that transferred us from being darkness to being light (Ephesians 5:8) is what the world needs.

Grace & Peace,
Scott

Comments (0)

Post a Comment