Calvary's First Baptism!

Labels:

Some "firsts" we never forget…first kiss, first movie, first airplane ride, first time jumping off the diving board, first time driving, first time getting pulled over by the police. And now we have a first at Calvary Church that I hope we will never forget – our first baptism in the new building! It was awesome to get to baptize Lane Gregory on Sunday. I’m not sure who was more excited: Lane, his parents (Shane & Tracy), his sister (Taylor), or me. We all had our reasons and for me it was the thrill of being out in the open, right in the middle of people, baptizing a brother who was being obedient. I’ve baptized a few people in my ministry, but I would say this was the “most fun” I’ve had. I think the reason for that feeling was because it felt more like what they would have done in the early church; people were close and there was a feeling of intimacy. I didn’t have to run to a room, change clothes, and get into the tank all during a couple of stanzas of Just As I Am; I simply had to throw off the coat and plunge the boy under the water! Pretty cool, huh?

Baptism is something very important. It is an act that a believer shouldn’t do because of pressure or guilt. Baptism is a picture of our relationship with Jesus Christ, and until a believer understands that picture they shouldn’t get baptized. Baptism is a visual expression of our identification with a Savior. In baptism we are illustrating the beautiful truth of what Christ endured to save us: He willingly and obediently died (coming to the waters of baptism willingly), He was buried (going under the water), and He rose gloriously (coming up out of the water). Every person baptized at Calvary is a reminder to everyone present that his or her salvation came at a price and that price was the life of Jesus. It is also a reminder that Jesus didn’t stay in the grave but rose victoriously.

One final thought. Baptism is also an indication that a church is obedient to the Great Commission. If we are reaching people then Jesus said two things would take place. First we will be baptizing, and second we will be teaching people the Word of God and how to obey that Word (cf. Matthew 28:19-20). Disciples are baptized and disciples are taught.

Grace & Peace,

Scott

Comments (0)

Post a Comment