Everything Happens by God's Design

Labels: ,

It has been two months since the supply line in the ladies’ bathroom providentially disconnected and flooded a section of the new church building. I say “providentially” because I don’t believe anything happens apart from the hand of God. The biblical truth of God’s sovereignty teaches that God has both the authority and power over everything and absolutely nothing escapes His control. Job recognized this in light of his suffering: “Who among all these does not know that the hand of the LORD has done this?” (Job 12:9).

I don’t want to sound overly simplistic, but because of the limited space let me share a couple of thoughts. First, we need to make a distinction between what God causes to happen and what God allows to happen. I find it helpful to ask a couple of questions: “Could God have stopped the water line from breaking?” Answer: Yes! “Did God stop the water line from breaking?” Answer: No! So, in the sense that He could have prevented it but didn’t He was in control. In God’s providence the water line broke.

Also, we need to understand that everything happens for a reason (even evil). Paul sums this up for our benefit by saying: “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good…” (Romans 8:28). And from God’s benefit he wrote, “For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.” (Romans 11:36). Things happen by the sovereign and majestic design of God for our good and for His glory.

No, I can’t always answer the question, “Why did God cause or allow this to happen?” But if I take God out of the picture then I am left with sheer blind luck and happen chance, and I’m not willing to live in a world where God is not ultimately in control. A world where God is not in control would be chaotic. I believe God is large and in charge!

We are all ready to get this rebuild behind us, but I take comfort in the fact that God had a purpose behind it, and His purpose was to build our lives and to bless His name.

Grace & Peace,

Scott

Comments (0)

Post a Comment