Hide-n-Seek

Labels:

David asks a most perplexing question of God in Psalm 13:1,

How long will you hide your face from me?

When I came across this verse it got me to thinking seriously about playing hide-and-seek. Now hide-n-seek was a favorite game of mine growing up. In fact, I remember a time during which I was a youth pastor that I would play “find the pastor.” It was my grown up and respectable way of playing hide-n-seek and call it ministry. Those were fun times with the kids, and every once in a while I receive an email from one of those grown up kids and it brings back all the fun we had. Oops…I think I got off track. Now where was I? Oh yeah…Does God really hide from us? Does He play some sort of game when we need Him? Or, is David asking a question that is a human problem of perception?

I have come to believe it is a human problem of perception. It boils down to a God focus versus self focus issue. You see, when I am focused on me and the circumstances I face I only have eyes for me. I can’t see God working in and through my circumstances. My conclusion? I don’t see God and I assume He is not there for me.

Circumstances are what God uses to mold me and to shape me into the image of His Son. He is not hiding from me when I need Him most. In fact, He is never more near me during those times of distress and heartache.

The end of Psalm 13 helps get my focus in the right place,

I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. (v. 5)

God’s love is constant in my life and the salvation He offers is super abundant. What about you? Have you felt that God is hiding His face from you? Remember that He is always there and His love never fails you!

Grace & Peace,

Scott

Comments (0)

Post a Comment