Never Get Over the Cross!

Labels: , , , ,

I remember the first time I told Barb "I love you." I remember our first kiss. I remember the first time I held each of our children. I remember the first church I pastored. I remember the first time I preached at Calvary (Easter, 2006). There are some things you remember forever; you just never get over them, and you don't want to, and you shouldn't.

Do you remember the first time you realized God's love for you was so great that He sacrificed His own Son? Have you gotten over it? Do you remember when you made the decision to follow Him and trust Him with your life? Salvation is something that is rooted in the event of the cross. That event took place over two thousand years ago and it still never loses its power to transform a life! The cross is central to our faith and it changes everything we do. It changes the way we love; it changes the way we worship; it changes the way we raise kids; it changes the way we spend money; it changes the way we live.

Oh, so many have come to the cross and accepted its sacrifice only to turn their back on the One who paid the supreme price to secure everlasting life. They came enamored by the transformation it produces; they stayed in love long enough to fervently read the Bible and learn how to live above the confusion and noise of a world gone mad; and they have followed hard after Jesus...for a time. Then suddenly, or maybe subtly, they drifted and "fell out of love" with the cross. No, they would never admit that, but their actions speak of a betrayal that mirrors Judas. They simply got over the cross and it is no longer central to their life. But this shouldn't be.

Never get over the cross!

Grace & Peace,
Scott

Comments (0)

Post a Comment