Breast Cancer Awareness Sunday

Labels: , ,

This week at Calvary we are observing breast cancer awareness. I have some thoughts on this...

Breast cancer is very curable if detected early. I would encourage all of the ladies reading this to call your doctor in the next few days to see if you need a mammogram. I have been told by more than a few people that I make them nervous when I start using "doctor talk" so I will spare you the pain and my family the embarrassment. But I do think it is just common sense to want to live as long as you can to have more opportunity to honor God and serve others. Early detection of breast cancer that can be treated is part of a good plan to accomplish that.

Cherish those who've survived this disease and remember well those who've died. Just because someone you know is over their surgeries and treatment doesn't mean they are over the trauma of their cancer. I've always tried to tell you, "Hug them while you have them." This week talk, call, text, Facebook, and write those who you know have gone through the dark portal of breast cancer. Let them know you are thankful God has willed that they are still alive; let them know how much you love and need them. One of the ways to remember someone who died due to breast cancer is to donate to breast cancer research. Check out www.komen.org for further information.

Finally I want to share something deeply personal to our family. Our Mom, Adella Walsingham, is a three-time breast cancer survivor. To her family and friends she is better than Superwoman and her invisible jet! She is a living testimony that you don't have to curl up in a ball and quit; with God's amazing grace and loving people surrounding you, you can get through anything. Talk to her, she is a phenomenal woman!

Grace & Peace,
Scott

Comments (0)

Post a Comment