Pride & Presumption

Labels: , ,

"Are we being presumptuous by building a new building?" That question is one that I wrestled with three years ago and settled in my heart and mind back then. If I had not done this then I would have been a failure as a pastor-shepherd in leading Calvary Church to relocate, and it would be a little too late to just begin trying to answer it now.

The idea of presumption is one of assuming something will happen that in fact might or might not come to pass. For us as a church, relocating without first praying for the Lord's leadership, being considerate of the entire congregation, thinking through the cost, and believing in growth would be assuming many things that may or may not happen. Presumption is pride, and those who presume cannot afford to fail. While I certainly don't want to fail, I do believe we can fail in certain practical areas and it still won't destroy the work that God is doing. Read this carefully, I don't believe God will fail, but because we are human, working with other humans, we will fail and others will fail along the way.

Presumption also acts first and asks for God's blessing after. (You know the old saying, "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.") This is a very dangerous philosophy to follow when it comes to God's church; sometimes He just allows us to fall flat on our faces. I would argue that this is what will happen if what we are doing is motivated by pride. Remember what James teaches us, "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble" (James 4:6).

While I certainly don't know, nor can I predict, what will happen in the future of Calvary Baptist Church, I do believe that because we are seeking to honor God's majesty and help His children, that He will bless us immeasurably. As your pastor I rest securely on the following words from James,

Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit." - yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that (James 4:13-16, emphasis added).

Grace & Peace,
Scott

Comments (0)

Post a Comment