A Son Encourages Dad

Labels:

As our oldest son, Ben, was heading back to Clemson University from fall break he stopped and knelt by my chair and said he wanted to encourage me. He opened his Bible and read these words from Isaiah,

But now thus says the LORD, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior." (Isaiah 43:1-3 ESV)

I'm not sure he knew the impact he had by stopping to encourage me with Scripture. You see, I'm the dad, I'm the pastor, I'm the one with a master's degree in divinity, and I'm supposed to have it all together with all the answers for everyone at any time. But he knows better. He sees the human side of this man who sits in the easy chair checked out emotionally and spiritually drained. He knows I get discouraged, frustrated and sometimes even angry.

I appreciate and love my children so much. I especially enjoy it when I see changes in their lives that show they are genuinely following Jesus. Lately I have seen it in all four of our kids and am thankful God is working and they are obeying.

No, we didn't just happen to "luck out" with four exceptional children who love the Lord and their parents. Getting our kids to adulthood (and almost adulthood, not quite yet Abby) took a great deal of work (thank you Barb) and prayer. And no matter how old we get we will not give up!

I just needed to share this with you because it was fresh on my mind. I pray the Lord will use it to encourage and empower you.

Grace & Peace,
Scott

Comments (0)

Post a Comment