Clearing Our Conscience

Labels: , ,

I received a letter last week that was the end of a young man's forty-three battle with guilt. I am leaving it anonymous to protect his reputation.

"As a young boy, I decided to skip school for the day as I was sure I would not pass a test to be given. A day of hooky sounded like a better plan. I was not alone in this though and soon a friend joined me in a day of adventure. It was midday when we wandered to the steps of Calvary Baptist Church and went inside to look around. Honestly there were no preconceived plans for what happened next, but I was there so I am guilty. As I looked around, I saw my friend taking a microphone from a stand and placing it under his shirt. I asked him what he was doing and before I knew it we were both running out the door.

"That was forty-three years ago and it is still on my mind. I am a Christian and have been for over twenty-five years. I know Christ has forgiven me, but want to give back what was taken. Please accept my deepest apologies and the enclosed check."

Oh, how this letter touched my heart (as I hope it does yours)! Immediately I was reminded of what Paul said it Acts 24:16,

So I always take pains to have a clear conscience toward both God and man.

Biblically this man did the right thing. He sought forgiveness from God first and then began building his life for Christ. Along the way God changed him and that changed involved a radical obedience to the Spirit's moving. Eventually his conscience was convicted of the wrong he committed forty-three years ago against a congregation who for the most part didn't know the theft took place or had forgotten and moved on. However, God would not let this man move on until he radically obeyed and proved his repentance through a changed life. I am sure his check more than covers the microphone, and besides, the microphone is not the real issue anyway...his radical obedience is.

I praise our Father in heaven for letters and repentant faith like this. I reminds me that my spiritual walk is not moving in the right direction until I am ready to obey my Sovereign Lord at any cost to me personally. I hope this reminder helps your walk too.

Grace & Peace,
Scott

Comments (0)

Post a Comment